Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kitchen Which

Recently, I've been feeling stifled. My job is probably better about it than most, but I still feel some days like I'm constrained and therefore I often have to stifle some of the kids. I also feel like I'm missing out on opportunities that might be more exciting. When you cook with 7th graders, you're making chocolate chip cookies, not creme brulee. Kids who won't eat soup that's not from a can aren't interested in the "mother sauces."

Add to that the fact that I absolutely hate cooking for myself and I have a slight kitchen slump. I actually had popcorn for dinner last weekend. This really upset my vintage copper Revere pans.

This is just part of the stash. I love them. I'm not allowed unsupervised on Ebay for this very reason.


Another bonus to Ryan coming home is that he thinks my cooking is fabulous (and I don't have to cook just for myself). He'll eat pretty much anything (or at least try whatever I make). I've already told him he has to stay twice as long so I can feed him all the wonderful food I want to make. I get to show off just a little when I cook for him.

Mostly, I set the bar way to high the first time I ever cooked for him. Stuffed mushrooms, salads with homemade balsamic vinaigrette, steak au poivre, garlic parmesan mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, and for dessert bananas Foster (I love to flambe things and I think boys like steak and fire). Add to that a bottle of wine that was the result of a week's worth of homework. It was pretty good. I still have the bottle because I'm a girl and we're allowed to keep things like that.


I should have made sloppy joes or tuna casserole or something incredibly boring so I could work up to the fabulous stuff.

I don't think it mattered anyways...the chocolate chip cookies did him in. I warned him!

No comments: